Wednesday, December 13, 2006

R.I.P. Uncle Robert 12/13/2006

My Uncle Robert died this morning, before my dad had a chance to see him and say goodbye. He and my mom were booked on a 1 p.m. flight to Casper via Denver today, and now for obvious reasons, they're going to wait until the funeral to go out there. I'm glad at least that my dad won't be traveling now, with all the weather-related delays and the difficulty of getting from SF to Casper. He's still refusing to do physical therapy, so his hips and knees are pretty stiff and it's uncomfortable for him to sit, stand or walk for long periods.

Of course, cheaptickets.com and United are both giving them a hard time about the postponement. What asses these companies can be, and how annoying that they seem to live to profit off of the hardships and changed plans of others, but that's not news. What is news is that of my dad's 5 siblings, only 2 are left alive. Aunt Helen is in Casper and Aunt Effie is in Lander, if I remember correctly, and both are several years older than my dad. He may well end up the last one standing, which is good and bad. Helen's on the downswing, and Effie's just moved into "assisted living". Why on earth do they call it that? Sounds like being in some kind of coma, which Effie's definitely not. Anyhoo, guess I'll have to see what happens next...back to doing PR.

No comments: