Tuesday, February 6, 2007

No cures for what ails me

So, I finally went to the doctor today for a "new patient" appointment. She was perfectly nice and easy to talk to, but I knew I'd walk out of there without knowing what's been causing these headaches, iffy stomach and irritated eyes for the past week plus. My stomach especially acts up whenever I think about Alex and how it's all gone nowhere. That really gets me, still, but I think I'm starting to look past it. Not that there's much to see.

One "fun" thing--I'd scheduled a call with a reporter for one of my clients, and I had to literally "take" the call to the doctor's office. At least I've finally figured out how to mute my mobile phone--a real triumph--or I'd never have been able to do that. Now I can be late for the blue call on Thursdays and not have the drone of car noise and whatever else in the background. Thank the maker, as C3PO would say.

So, the doctor gave me an inhaler to treat what she suspects is "exercise-induced asthma", but that's not it. It's not that I can't get enough breath when I exercise, it's just that my lungs can't keep up with my legs. I always go way faster than other people I see on the elliptical, for example, and I think that's because I feel the need to push myself past the point of comfort. That's a new concept for me, since I'm normally so lazy.

And I'm supposed to take Claritin every day for a week, but I still have the pseudoephedrine kind that's not so easy to get anymore. Again, I don't think that's it either, even though there's a lot of smog and nasty air these days. In fact, it's been so bad, you can barely see the hills that separate the Peninsula from Coastside. Anyway, I guess we'll see, since I see her again next week to see if things have improved. I don't think anything's going to improve, healthwise or otherwise. Yeah, that's "poor me" talking. I'm back.

No comments: